Friday, April 8, 2011

Another Year........

 Tonight's blog is being written with the assistance of Melody......She's a cockatiel. ...and a crappy speller.

It's been quite a week. And, admittedly, that is probably the most cliche way to start writing. I'm sure to plenty of people around the world my week would seem pretty darn boring. I haven't had to survive a tsunami, my government isn't literally fire bombing me, and I'm not a soldier in a war zone. But for an average guy living in a medium sized American town with no threat of any serious harm, it's been quite a week. My employer changed overnight (seriously I left work one day employed by one company showed up the next day, same time same place, employed by a different company). This has been a major pain in the ass.  It's left my family with no insurance for a month. So until the beginning of the May my daughter will be dressing in bubble wrap with a flashing light and siren on her head. One of the Birds is sick. Tank, the older one has an infection that I am completely unable to pronounce so you know its a bad one. He went to the vet yesterday and got some antibiotics and pain killers. And yesterday was my birthday.
      Yesterday was my birthday, there I said it twice. I am now 37. 37 is three less than 40. I know this because my wonderful wife doesn't say my age as 37. She says three years from 40. And hey that's OK because 40 is the new... new what? 20? I don't even know what that means. I'm 37 and I feel 37. This is OK, I can accept that.
      Birthdays are funny things. I've  never been much of a birthday celebrator. It's just always been so uncomfortable to me. The gifts and the song and everyone making a big deal about my ability to survive another year. I don't hate my birthday I just don't like to go overboard for it. Some people really like to go big for their birthdays with the parties and the dinners and the gifts. I suppose for me the things I like most on my birthday are my daughter giving me a hug and saying "Happy Birthday Daddy!" And my wife giving me a kiss and taking time to eat a picnic lunch with me on my lunch break. And tonight we had dinner with my Mom. I can't think of a better way to celebrate. So thank you Daughter Wife and Mom for helping me celebrate another year of survival on this rock. I couldn't have done it with out you.

No comments:

Post a Comment