Saturday, April 20, 2013

Letter To My Daughter




Dear Daughter,
   
                                  I remember meeting you for the first time as the nurse handed you to me moments after Mommy gave birth to you. You were so small, so new to this place that I fought and struggled in for so many years. Feelings of overwhelming joy washed over me as I thought of all the things we’d be able to share together. Showing you all the amazing things this world has to offer and how to defend yourself from all the dangers that come along with it.  I was afraid of this incredible responsibility that now sat before me. There were doubts that I would be up to the task of protecting you out in your brand new world. Fear that I wouldn’t know how to guide you through life so you’d end up happy and confident.

   Those first few years as a father were tough. Not having had a dad around when I was a kid proved to be a bigger challenge than I expected. I didn’t know how to play with a baby, or what would make you smile, or laugh. We worked together, and you taught me how to play.  I can remember the first time I made you laugh and it was the most amazing sound I had ever heard. It was genuine, a laugh born of pure joy.

   As you began school it was time to teach you the value of hard work. You had seen me work hard at my job your whole life so I felt confident that I would be able to easily reinforce all the merits of hard work. I’d tell you working hard is its own reward, even though you’d see me come home tired and depressed every day. If a person works hard, I would say, they can do anything they want, and you’ve watched me for years work at something I dislike. You hear me tell you over and over again how important it is to make sure that whatever it is in life you decide to do, make sure your happy. Unless I’m home with you and Mommy, I’m not very happy.

   As your father, I should never tell you these things if I’m not willing to live by them. Today, my dear daughter, this changes. I worked hard to earn the chance to go to school so that’s what I will do. By doing this you will be able to see a father who through hard work is happy and enjoys what he does. Today I will be the example you deserve.  

Love,
Daddy


1 comment:

  1. Congratulations on what I know has been a difficult decision. You will show your daughter that you can be happy doing what you like instead of stuck in a miserable situation that you can't get out of. Change is a scary thing but if you take the risk you can succeed.Well done. I hope you find something that truely makes you happy to do. As they say, "If you enjoy the work that you do, Then you never work a day in your life."

    ReplyDelete