Sunday, May 1, 2011

OK so I missed a week. The family and I went to New Jersey to visit my wonderful wife's father and grandfather and the hotel we stayed at had lousy Internet. Shocking that the luxurious Sea Foam Motel would have crappy wifi. Our room did have the wonderful aroma of  Lysol and mildew. A smell that says, "Yea we're dirty but we sprayed some stuff".  If you are recently divorced, depressed, alcoholic, drug dependant, or any combination of these then I highly recommend this place. Otherwise, my recommendation is to find other accommodations.

We did enjoy the weekend. I'm even fairly sure my wonderful wife's grandfather almost, sort of started to like me. He's one of those old guys who has worked hard for everything he has. He raised his kids on his own, ran his own business, made himself a pillar in his community, and is a lethal card player. Mind you this man is eighty-six and the only thing he doesn't still do is raise his kids.... sort of. Actually I'm pretty sure he stills does that too. I'm thirty-seven and struggle playing solitaire. The man is a little on the intimidating side. but that's OK he's earned it. I figure another 30-40 years of solid progress and he may even smile in my direction.

It's probably the same for anyone when dealing with the in-laws. As secure as we all pretend to be, the need for approval is hard to suppress. One of the ways we show we care is by seeking the approval of our significant others family. Not necessarily every single one them, but at least the ones that are important to our wives/husbands/girlfriends/boyfriends (or whatever the proper term is today). I mean I don't need my wife's third cousin twice removed cousin on her mothers sides approval but her the ones that are important to her are important to me. She would say this is a silly idea. I guess a shorter way of saying this is it's important for the people she cares about to know she is happy. I'm also pretty sure if she wasn't her grandfather would beat me with a tire iron.

No comments:

Post a Comment